Every year I dread giving gifts. Whether Christmas or an important person’s birthday, it always comes down to what the person needs rather than desires. Function over form I suppose. Considering that I used to give books for birthday parties as a kid was a terrible idea.
One thing that most people cannot refuse is food. A dinner, lunch, or snack, as long as you add some love, nobody can resist.
Second issue: men are picky. Not many enjoy sweets but it’s slightly awkward to show up with a meatloaf or a sandwich as a party gift. What do men generally enjoy? Sandwiches, beer, bacon, and women. Having 3/4 of those standards is good enough for me!
Chocolate Guinness and Bacon Cupcakes
makes 24 cupcakes
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups AP flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon instant espresso
Pinch of salt
1 bottle Guinness (330 ml)
1/2 cup of melted butter (room temperature)
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract)
3 large eggs (room temperature)
3/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups bacon bits (extra for garnish)
Preheat oven at 350F
1) Sift together the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda. Mix in the salt, espresso powder and sugar and set aside.
2) Combine beer, butter, vanilla bean paste, eggs and sour cream. Make sure the melted butter and beer is at room temperature.
3) Add the dry ingredients into the liquid in quarters. Mixing after each addition.
4) Fold in bacon bits and pour into 24 well greased pans 3/4 full.
5) Bake for 12 minutes. Rotate pan and bake for another 12 minutes.