I’m terrible when it comes to purchasing gifts for others. I’m definitely a function over form kind of gal so I always resort back to baking a gift instead. It’s a way of saying “I love you enough to put a reasonable amount of time in this”.
Having beautiful fresh LOCAL lavender makes an enormous difference in the finished product.
Lavender Lemon Curd Cupcakes:
Makes 12 cupcakes and a mason jar of curd
- 125 ml of strained lemon juice (2 regular lemons+1 meyer lemon)
- 3.5 teaspoon of lemon rind
- 200g berry sugar (caster sugar)
- 3 eggs (room temperature)
- 100g butter (cubed)
- Mix the juice and sugar together.
- Strain the eggs**this will ensure a smooth curd** and mix well
- Use the double boiling method (make sure the boiling water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl)
- Lower the heat to a simmer
- Place the mixture bowl over the pot and ensure no steam can escape. Stir until the mixture thickens until it can coat the back of your spoon without dripping.
- Remove from heat and add two cubes of butter at a time.
- Stir gently until the butter has melted and is well combined.
- Stir in the rind and voila!
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon dried lavender flowers
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F; line a 12 count muffin pan with paper liners.
- Chop up lavender flowers and stir into sugar (press the flowers into the sugar with your spoon)
- Mix the lavender sugar with the butter and cream together until pale and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs into the butter mixture, one at a time, then sift in the flour and fold gently.
- Stir in the milk, then spoon the mixture into the muffin cups until 1/3-1/2 full **it rises quite high**.
- Bake for about 18 minutes until risen and golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean
- Use an apple corer (you can buy one at Ikea) and cut out the centers of the cupcakes when cool
- Pipe lemon curd into the middle
- Decorate with preferred buttercream recicpe (I have yet to make a delicious one) using a simple 03 tip or large star tip
After my third attempt, I was finally able to make a nummy lemon curd! I was left with a jar, which is perfect for mixing with yogurt and hemp seeds for breakfast! The tang in the curd hits you and mellows out with a strong lemon flavour with an ending note of aromatic lavender. The cake dries out if you leave it out in the air for too long though. I’m not huge into buttercreams and this was delicious without buttercream! I like to think of it like this: Jazz it up if it’s for someone else but make it simple when it’s for you. Deliciousness is the bottom line.