Sometimes it’s great when you have people to cook for. How inspiring is it to have people enjoy what you make. Especially in the winter, how can we not love comfort food? After a long day of snow boarding or work, it’s great to munch down on something with cheese.
Classic Bacon Macaroni ‘n Cheese
Casserole dish (approx 10 cups)
2-3 cups dry macaroni
1 1/2 cup cheddar shredded (extra for topping)
1/2 smoked sundried tomato cheddar (whole foods)
3 tablespoons roux
4 cups milk
10 strips of double smoked farmers bacon (400-500g total)
Salt/pepper to taste
Cubed Bread “crumbs” for topping
(tip: use half of bacon oil for roux, use unwanted butter)
- Start with cooking the bacon on a baking sheet or in a frying pan. You want the bacon to be medium-crispy, drain on paper towel, when cool, rough chop to desired size.
- Collect bacon drippings (put bread crumbs into the remainder on the pan—toast in oven)
- Make the roux (use half and half of unsalted butter and bacon drippings)
- Slowly add milk, use more for preferred consistency
- Slowly whisk in cheeses until melted
- Add 8 strips bacon
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Add macaroni and mix.
- Shovel into casserole dish
- cover with toasted bread crumbs and cheese, 2 slices chopped bacon and fresh cracked pepper.
- Heat oven to 400- during preheat pit bread cubes in until the oven is ready for the mac&cheese
- bake for 15-20 mins or until top is brown.
- Finish with broiler for crispier top.